Friday, July 14, 2006

Day 0

If you *really* know what that means, I know you'll say a few extra prayers today and over the next two weeks.

In stem cell replacement/high dose chemo talk, *Transplant Day* is considered Day 0.

Well today, Friday at 10 a.m., is *Day 0* for my friend Mark (on the left, new friend Ernie on the right) who is getting the infusion of stem cells after 6 days of high dose chemo. He's lying in a bed in Omaha, many miles from his kids, family and friends...battling non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma --- and BEATING IT!!!

For a very long time now (not just the last 8 months) I've questioned or I guess wondered why bad things happen to good people... and Mark is good people--a very good egg as another friend Mark likes to say. Mark, married as long as I, with 3 kids, is simply a great human being...so thoughtful, so kind, so generous, so caring, so funny, so easy going, so calm. I wish I had 1/2 of those traits. His attitude, his faith and his great support of family, friends and strangers are keeping him on the track to victory and survival of this disease.

Yesterday I learned of a website that his wife Beth updates with info on his progress...peeps can read and post messages to them from a far since they all can't be there. I printed that all out and read it on the train ride home. So touching and inspirational!

Mark & Beth, please know that sooooo many people are continuing to pray for you daily. They know that you are strong and will beat this bad boy. I intend to attend mass today at lunch to pray for you and then I'm going to attend a Taize service tonight, as I did last week before Day -6, to pray for you all.

I wish you a speedy recovery and I have $5 on you to beat Ernie to the finishline.

Peace and grace to you my friend.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

How funny that I read this today. I've got my VBFIWWW here. Her dad beat a rare and deadly form of leukemia years back (got his treatment in Omaha) and largely credits the power of prayer for his recovery.

Peace!

Laura

 
At 9:56 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Bike said...

L-Thanks for the positive thoughts...prayer is the way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home