Monday, July 03, 2006

"Do not be afraid; just have faith."

An excerpt from an email to a fellow grieving parent of a daughter:

----
I just wanted to share with you my reflection on Sunday's Gospel --Mk 5:21-43. I'm sure you heard the same thing I did … I just wanted to share my thoughts with you since it hits home for the both of us--I hope you don't mind.

I'm getting into the habit of reading the Sunday Gospel or any other weekday Gospel, before the mass either at home, during the week or just right before mass in church…then it's good to hear it spoken and I know what to expect and can reflect on it deeply.

"My daughter is at the point of death. Please, come lay your hands on her that she may get well and live."

As I read these words and then heard them at mass, I could only think of how you and I never got the chance to utter them…the good Lord took our daughters w/o giving us a chance to pray for their earthly life…we would never hear

"Talitha koum!" --"Little girl, I say to you, arise!"

...and that saddened me. I was at mass with brother and I told him I was not looking forward to the Gospel--just hearing those words would have me in tears…but the sermon of course helped eased my pain. I know I should not dwell on the fact that we had no chance to pray and plead for our daughters lives…but it does cross my mind…still asking why.

But the sermon Fr. Tom gave was nice to hear...understanding the strong faith involved in this miracle/healing of the little girl and the healing of the sick woman in this Gospel.

Jesus said to the synagogue official, "Do not be afraid; just have faith."

I continue to pray every day for our growing faith and our search for peace during this healing process…

peace,
Marty
----

A friend of mine told me he thought of me at mass on Sunday and I knew/guessed it was during the Gospel...I of course thought of myself/us, Liz, C&J and the so many others that have lost a child or loved one 'oh, too soon'. Thanks to all of those who thought of us on Sunday.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, July 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Talitha koum!" Don't forget, Christine has already heard these words. Can you imagine her joy? JJS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home