Friday, March 24, 2006

Going home for the w/e--Mark & Bone visits

This is the day I would try to put aside my hurt and suffering to comfort a friend.

I awoke at 6 a.m., jumped in Eins 1 and headed south to Springfield…wondering what to say, what to do when I got into town---to sit with Mark during his 3rd chemo drip. I knew I wanted to help him pass the time with talk of survival, positive attitude and faith.

About 1/2 way down, I began to listen to Christine's funeral mass...such great music and homily by Fr. Bernie. It's the second time I listened to it on a trip to Springfield...I did stop short of listening to the family eulogies this time. I recall I did not cry much the first time, just weeks after the funeral...this time was a bit different...do they make windshield wipers for the eyes?

I arrived in downtown Springfield at 9:30, ran into the building to use the restroom, came down the stairs to walk into the clinic just as Mark walked in ahead of me--what timing from 210 miles away. He'd already had a tough morning...his son got sick in the car and his neighbor forgot to pick him up to take him to the drip...so he was running about 40 minutes late and feeling lousy...time to spin the positive.

As he got *hooked-up*, we sat and talked about nothing and everything...T's 10 year survival, sports, his kids, bad chemo affects, etc. Through out the drip session, his friends stopped in to do the same...just sit with him to talk. Was great to see the support he has all around him.

I told Mark this story about timing, attitude and survival:

On Wednesday, as I drove to a wake, I thought I knew where the FH was. I turned left, where I had a strong feeling I should turn right...as I drove left, not seeing the FH, I turned around and back tracked to the FH--should have turned right...But, as I was listening to the P&E radio station as I took the little tour of town, I heard something I would not have if I had driven right to the FH. A news item quoted a study that had just been completed in Northern IL, that notes a Dr. can predict within 88%, the 5-year survivors of cancer based on their attitude and faith. Seems like I was destined to hear that information and pass it along to Mark 2 days later.

At lunch, I ducked out to have lunch/fish at the American Legion with Bone/Duane--an old grade school friend. We chatted about some old times and he shared some of his struggles, friends struggles, friends support and other tid-bits with me...DD-thanks for sharing with me and thanks for treating. Was great to see you and reconnect.

He mentioned that he and Chris wanted to come to up to visit me on a Sunday sometime soon...see 3.27.06 post.

After lunch, back to the clinic to visit with Mark and his wife...mentioned to them that they need to do whatever it takes to get well...take charge of your treatment/healing process--and they are. I left Mark about 2 o'clock after the drip and wished him well the remainder of the w/e and early next week when the chemo kicks in.

Mark--you have such a great attitude and outlook--you'll beat this bastard and win! Know that I'm here for you in whatever capacity you need...I continue to pray for you daily--Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home