Friday, March 10, 2006

Eulogy by Auntie Sandy

To My Niece, Christine Emily Mueller

With Love, Auntie Sandy

There is so much to say about someone who deeply touched the lives of our family. When your parents announced your upcoming arrival, the rest of the family was ecstatic. A beautiful baby shower was given in your honor. A month later we shared the joy of your birth. Your mother and father were such proud parents! We all wanted to hold and carry you. We enjoyed watching you grow and develop that first year. You had the most impressive collection of sophisticated toys that even I had to try turning them on and off. When you and your parents temporarily moved in with Grandma Peska due to the second floor addition on your home, I was fortunate to see you at Sunday Mass. You slept through most of it but woke up at the end and always gave me the cutest smiles.

By the time you were one year old, you were able to walk. You were more interested in ripping the wrapping paper off the gifts. You had a blast sitting inside a fairly large gift box and looking out at the rest of us.

When moving back into your remodeled home, I remember you taking me around the house. You could not talk, but led me from room to room. When we went into your parent's room, you jumped on their bed, walked into the glass shower, opened up their mini refrigerator and took out your sippie cup which was next to your mother's bottle of champagne and your father's beer.

You were always laughing around the ladies in the family until the men walked into the room. The size and height of your cousins Scott and Ross and Uncle Bob were intimidating at first. They would crouch down to your level and talk very gently to you. When looking through the picture albums, you were blowing bubbles outside on Easter Sunday with Scott and Ross and feeling very comfortable with them. After dinner, your mother had you pass out little gifts to each person. At first you were confused between Auntie Donna and myself and Scott and Ross, but knew everyone by name the following year.

Pink was your favorite color and would always point to my pink polished toenails. Smelling different perfumes was another favorite pastime.

One weekday afternoon, your mother brought you to my house in order to meet your father at a U of I alumni gathering. After a day of teaching I really just wanted to put Q feet up, relax, and drink a cup of coffee. From the moment you came until your mother picked you up four hours later, I was constantly on the go with you. We had to check out the workmen in my backyard. Together we peeled ever picture in its proper spot in the brand new workbook you had brought. We repeatedly looked at the picture album of your recent family trip to the Cayman Islands while you gave me descriptions of each picture, especially the one of the beach house. In order for me to rest, I turned on the animal station for you to watch. You started closing your eyes, and then Ross came home from class. You jumped up and wanted to follow him downstairs, of course with me by your side. We must have checked up on Ross at least three more times together before your mother came for you.

The best times were the past two summers swimming at Grandma Peska's condo pool. After watching you jump in and out with your assortment of water toys, we would walk back to Grandma's condo, change clothes, and get ready for lunch. While your mother was preparing your lunch that looked like a presentation from Bon Appetite Auntie Donna and I would have you on the living room rug doing various gymnastic moves and stretches. When asking us to do them with you, we two aunts looked like a comedy routine. We all had our places at Grandma's table and would have great conversations, which always made you smile. You always faced the balcony so that an immediate spotting of the visiting cardinal or squirrel could be reported. Grandma loved you very much, and you were right at home taking afternoon naps in her bed.

Because we had few toys, it was the little things that your loved at the Bosy home. You always went for the bag of stuffed animals on the bookshelf. Your favorite was the one Uncle Bob bought you that would say, "Help me, help me" when dropped. Putting the different colored Mardi Gras beads on was another activity. On the refrigerator door were two play panic buttons that would sound an alarm, again, courtesy of Uncle Bob. After constantly pushing the alarms, along with the third toy, an alien button eerily saying "Take me to your leader", everyone would chase you out of the kitchen for a brief moment of silence. Uncle Bob, Scott, and Ross would take turns carrying you out onto the deck to see what was cooking on the grill. This past summer Uncle Bob bought you a little glass that changed colors when filled with milk. When coming over for dinner a few weeks later, you remembered the glass, went downstairs, found it, and brought it up for dinner.

I loved shopping for you since I have sons. Beautiful dresses, coats, pant sets, and shorts sets were picked out with care. You knew that Auntie Donna and I loved looking at your clothes. The two of us would sit on the floor in your bedroom as you brought out the clothes, lying them on your bed one by one. Your closet was filled with everything imaginable.

When coming to your house in summer, the two of us would look at the garden that you and your father had planted. You got so excited when the tomatoes had turned red and were ready to be picked.

A year ago Mother's Day, you announced to the rest of the family that your mother was expecting your sister, Lauren. Everyone was wondering how you would react to another sibling in the house. You were the most loving and caring big sister. When anyone held Lauren, you were always right there talking to her and kissing her. You were the center of her world. She laughed at your presence and was always eagerly watching you. Many times you were the only one that could comfort her.

Your mother and father were the best, loving parents that any child could have. You knew and expressed it by being kind, gentle, and the best-behaved four-year-old I have ever seen. You loved being around family members, always smiling and laughing.

Now Grandpa Peska, Uncle John, Grandma Kutzendorfer, and Great-Grandma Peska are taking care of you. Words can not express how you have touched everyone's lives. We will miss you beyond expression. Help guide Lauren through her years of growing.

Until later, my angel.
Love, Auntie Sandy
Uncle Bob
Scott & Ross

2 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, March 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Until later, my angel." How true, how wonderful. JJS

 
At 9:09 AM, March 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't heard/read these words since the day they were spoken. I enjoyed reading this, but it also made me sad, and I did have tears when I finished......so, I went and had my Christine fix......I listened to her voice on my answering machine!
I know I have stated that I have unanswered questions regarding Christine's death. I decided that I did not want to be selfish and have both of you relive it last night, when the four of us were just having a pleasant, casual evening......so maybe the time will come that I ask, or maybe I will just have to be satisfied with what I do know.
DJA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home