Thursday, April 13, 2006

Holy Thursday (& CRHP Wednesday)

I'll admit it's been a long time since I've attended any Holy Week celebration events...but not this year. I do recall the many times I attended as a kid many years ago.

I attended St. Raymond's 2 hour celebration of the Last Supper...very moving. Since I've read all Gospel accounts, seen the Movie and discussed details of these events at CRHP, this celebration was special...

I was joined in the pew at mass by a few fellow CRHP brothers...thanks to Dan and Art for celebrating with me. As I looked around the almost full Church, I noted many other CRHP brothers, who until 2 months ago, I did not know. Before mass began, Dan and I chatted a bit about the CRHP meeting the evening before...was a moving evening as well.

With no Taize prayer at the Church that Wed. evening, I felt a void of sorts...but the CRHP meeting and Holy Thursday filled that quite nicely. Dan began the CRHP meeting with our usual Contemplative Prayer...very relaxing. We also read Thursdays Gospel scripture, discussed it and then he and Johnny did as Jesus had that night...washed our feet. We were seated in the dining room, there were 12 of us getting our feet washed. The evening was very enlightening.

Back at mass, I discussed the new 10 Commandments show vs. the 50 year old version with Dan a bit ... noting that I had just read Exodus and other books of the Old Testament--was nice to have just read it before seeing the movie. Then I noted that this Easter would be especially tough with out Christine. I noted that we buried her in the pink Easter outfit she would have worn this w/e...that got me tearing of course--can't go to too many masses w/o that happening. I think I can count on one had the times I've not cried.

Anyway, the music for the mass was great! The choir and musicians do such a great job--their hard work and dedication shown through the entire mass. I thought of the similar celebrations taking place at the same time around the city, state, country...family and friends singing and celebrating in Springfield, Co-Springs, Chicago, St. Louis, J-ville, Kansas City...the Vatican. Very powerful to think about that.

After the homily, 3 parishioners spoke of their ministry within the Church. I enjoyed hearing the people speak of their experiences and thought of my brother and parents and all they do to minister--impressive. Makes me wonder what I can do?

Next came the RCIA candidates...Fr. Bernie and Deacon John washed their feet and then the RCIA folks washed the feet of anyone who came to the alter...I sat and cried for no real apparent reason...was a very moving moment to see the people partake and I guess I felt a real connection since we'd just done that the evening before and discussed its real meaning...I leave that for you to reflect on.

The rest of the mass was great...lights turned down at the closing procession with candle-light procession...repeating songs sung similar to Taize...that was nice, clearing of the alter. I'd forgotten a lot of the details of the evening--good to know it again.

Said hi to a few brothers on the way out and skipped the Soup dinner afterward...maybe next year. Looking forward to Good Friday, Easter Vigil and mass for Christine at 8 a.m. on Easter morning.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, April 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so fortunate, our ritual is so rich and meaningful, especially at this time of year. Holy week gives us such a special connection to the disciples and to Jesus. As we reenact their story, we have the benefit of understanding that the original twelve didn't have until after the resurrection. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow at the vigil. JJS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home