Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Eulogy by Carolyn

Hi, I’m Christine’s Mom. I got this job 4 years ago, back when I was Carolyn. Once Christine started preschool, my name officially changed to "Christine’s Mom". I loved being Christine’s Mom, and Christine made my job super easy. She was the complete package – nice, smart, sweet, friendly, lovable, fun, helpful, giving, thoughtful, and beautiful both inside and out. Strangers would constantly tell me what a beautiful child she was, but they were people who only saw her from the outside. And what is most important and so special and comforting to me now, is that you all saw and knew that her inner beauty far eclipsed her physical beauty.

Christine and I taught and learned from each other. Like when I wanted to take home a ball I found in the street, and Christine told me I couldn’t because it belonged to someone else. I tried teaching her about "stranger danger", but she was so loving and innocent that she didn’t get the concept yet. Often if she had a minor fall or scrap, I encouraged her not to cry and reminded her she was a "tough chick". And although I’m crying right now, I’m sure I can stand up here because she’s encouraging me to be a "tough chick".

A year ago we took Christine to a Super Big Sister class, and she sure embraced the job when Lauren was born. Christine would often tell me how happy she was to have a baby sister, and how lucky we were to have Lauren. She would tell Lauren "you’re so soft and sweet" and "you’re a sweetheart". Christine would sing the Baby Lauren song we made up when Lauren was crabby to help calm her down. And if I was out of the room while they were playing, Christine would yell to me "Lauren’s in trouble" if Lauren was straying from their play area. Christine was the best big sister, and Lauren adored her.

I have never been without seeing, talking, holding, or kissing her this long. And it’s the little things about Christine that I want to remember most, but I’m afraid I’m going to forget the fastest.

She always wanted to be first, declaring "I’m the leader" whether it be up the stairs or out the door. And at dinner, she had to cross herself first before anyone else at the table could start their prayer.

Our bedtime ritual after her bath, snack and teethbrushing would be to read a story, and then have me talk about our fun day. "Fun Day", as we called it, was a sequenced account of what happened during the day. Then she wanted me to cradle her in my arms and sing "Rock-a-Bye Baby" before I tucked her into bed.

As I’m writing this it’s been 4 nights since I talked to you about "fun day", and there has been absolutely nothing fun about the past 4 days. But Christine, you sure made the past 4 years the most fun years of my life.

It is surreal to know that you’re gone, because there are reminders of you everywhere. Help me make it through and understand why you are gone. You are my best friend, I love you so much, and I miss you terribly. Thanks for making it such a joy to be Christine’s Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home