Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Happy Birthday Jennie

Yesterday was my friend Jennie's birthday--she's been gone since May. In remembrance of an old friend, I lit a luminary on our front porch Monday night and kept it lit all day yesterday...was still lit this a.m. on my way out to work. Although we'd not kept in touch much over the years, she and her family mean so much to me. They are a strong faithful family that has lost a bright smiling face.

I called Jennie's sister Amy yesterday, to tell her that I was thinking and praying for her and the family. She does not live near her Mom and family, so I knew she would need some comfort that day. I called her about 11 a.m. as I knew her family would be at a mass for Jennie at that time. We had not spoken in many years as well...but that did not matter. We spoke of good times and sorrowful times. We spoke of the pain we feel at the loss of our loved one. We spoke of the time when we shall meet them again and that felt good.

I mentioned to Amy that as I was getting off the train Monday night, the next chapter title of the book I'm reading was, Birthdays in Heaven...so I read it weeping on the train ride in to work on Jennie's birthday.

Jennie, I hope that you, as a mother, taken from your daughters oh too soon, can now take care of my little Christine. She's not hard to find up there...she's the bright-eyed little girl who's probably playing in a park somewhere.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I started reading that CS Lewis book "A Grief Observed". I saw it over at my mom's and immediately thought of you! Mom lent it to me...

Point of this story: there was a part in the book that I've read so far where he says that we just don't know what happens, where people go when they die.

That said, since we don't know, I do like to imagine what a heaven would be like. I used to work with very young disabled kids. Occasionally, a kid that I worked with would pass away. Usually, these little guys had profound physical limitations. When the first kid I knew passed away, I imagined him in heaven running around and laughing and doing all of the things he couldn't do on earth. Then when another one I knew died, I imagined he and the first guy playing together. After a couple of years, I had a regular play group going in my head. That sounds really weird, but to me, it was a comforting thought...that all these kids who couldn't eat, talk, walk or move regularly during their lives were up in heaven running around like little nuts, giggling and having a great time.

I'm sure Jennie would be a very good care giver to C.

 
At 4:15 PM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Bike said...

LJS--thanks, not weird at all. I still need to read that book and another recommended to us...
MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home